Tuesday, June 26, 2018

I introduced my girlfriend to Star Wars about a year ago, her favorite movies surprised me, and this is a message to Disney/Lucasfilm


So over a year ago I introduced her to Star Wars for the first time. I'm 21, she's 20. She was very hesitant. It took a lot to get her to agree to watch it because she thought it looked "stupid" (I still wonder how I managed to not leave her when she said that (Jk she's great (I'm only saying that because she has my Reddit account logged in her phone so she can read this at any time.))) Anyway, I finally got her to watch them. The only thing she's seen is the Family Guy versions of the movies.We started off with A New Hope. Her initial reaction was "meh". Not bad not great. Fun. Over time we watched them all, without being in any particular order. By now we've seen all of them about 3 times each. And I'm proud to say she is now a super fan. So much so that she's trying to get her family to watch them now. Mission accomplished. But that's not the point of this thread. The point is her how surprising to me her favorite movies are. This is roughly her list from best to worst.The Phantom MenaceRevenge of the SithRogue OneThe Force AwakensAttack of the ClonesEmpire Strikes BackSoloThe Last JediA New HopeReturn of the JediIf you were to ask a "vocal" Star Wars fan their favorite movie list, it would be this list flipped generally with some exceptions. She is not a "vocal" fan. She probably thinks I'm silly writing such a long thread on Reddit. But I asked her why she liked these movies the best. She said something along the lines of liking little Ani and his mom. She liked the family aspect of it and how it was upsetting to watch him leave. She also liked the pod race and Qui-Gon. She likes RotS because of how intense and dark it is. And also because of all of the memorable dialogue. She loves Anakin's fall, Yoda and how good it looks. She likes Rogue One because of the characters and Vader. This one surprised me the most, because the number 1 complaint about Rogue one was how the audience didn't care for the characters, but my girlfriend did. She also liked the Vader scene at the end (obviously)So in general, she loves the prequels the most, followed by spin offs, then sequels, then OT. This is coming from someone who never saw Star Wars until a year ago. She assured me she likes ALL movies, but she has favorites.So with this in mind, I have a message to Lucasfilm/Disney: When making new movies, don't pander to fans. Make something unique, different and memorable. Because even though you might think "everyone" hates TLJ, hates prequels and loves the OT, it's not true. That's just a very vocal part of the community. Your movies might not resonate sometimes with a certain group, but that's okay! It might have with a whole other group. Just make what you want to make (without going overboard). Just make something fun, unique and different. via /r/StarWars https://ift.tt/2IqbkQh

No comments:

Post a Comment