Monday, April 29, 2019

Walking away from it all.


It's been a while coming, but I've finally made the decision to move on from modding /r/starwars. It has been an eventful seven years since I started moderating and it's hard to believe that four new star wars movies hit theatres and several new animated series to aired on tv in a relative short time compared to the previous few decades.when I started this gig, the biggest debates were OT vs PT arguments (which is still going on to a small degree), but now it seems like every new entry into the saga be it film, cartoon or on paper, manages to create more and more divisions of fandom. and with these divisions comes a disproportionate amount of negativity. And I don't mean towards the franchise, I mean towards each other. It's gotten to the point where modding is no long enjoyable for me, and as the saying goes: when the fun stops, stop. I already work a 40 hour week, yet modding was starting to feel more of a chore than my actual job.Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of fans here are decent, intelligent and positive people who just want to talk about Star Wars. But it's the nasty few who are ruining it for everyone. I thought my stickied post on opinions would help some, (and it did, for a while) but in the last few months things just seems to take a quantum leap into new heights of opinion bashing.I want to thank the Mod team here (especially /u/JSK23 who originally recruited me, and /u/jaxspider who asked me to step up after /u/noche left) for all the hard work they do. It's not a easy job, it's one without reward and largely without thanks. They endure abuse, trolling, spoilers and having to dredge through some nasty comments to keep the sub running. Without such a great team, I'd likely have left a long time ago.So in closing, May the force be with you, live long and prosper, so long and thanks for all the fish and above all, be excellent to each other.Smoke me a kipper, I'l be back for breakfast. o7 via /r/StarWars http://bit.ly/2XUUX6e

No comments:

Post a Comment