Sunday, July 8, 2018

"It would be the easiest thing in the world [to not kill Luke]." Johnson says. "You just leave him on the island. It would have been simple. It was something I gave lots of thought to all the up to the very end of the process." This is TLJ ending could've looked like if Luke didn't die.


Video: https://youtu.be/nci8SFpsgVcIn an interview with CNN, Rian Johnson had this to say when asked about Luke's fate at the end of The Last Jedi:Q: Rian, was there ever a version of this story where you didn't kill Luke?Johnson: It's not something where it was like, "This has to happen in this movie." It was something we got to organically. It was never like a mandate. It was a big thing. It was not something I ever wanted to do. It was not even something I decided and that was it... It would be the easiest thing in the world [to not kill Luke] You just don't fade him out at the end, you just leave him on the island. It would have been simple. It was something I gave lots of thought to all the up to the very end of the process.Hamill: It's all right. I'm still in denial. I think I just force projected to another planet.Johnson: I like the idea that you appear at the beginning of "Episode IX" in modern day New York.Hamill: Panhandling in front of Hooters.https://ift.tt/2udK8z2 Johnson thoughts on Luke's death:"He's taken himself out of the fight, he's sitting on that island in exile. I know the Luke I grew up with is not a coward, he's not sitting out there hiding, so I had to come up with a reason he was there that was active and positive, and something I could genuinely believe I could think in his shoes," says Johnson. "And the thing that came to me that seemed to make sense to me is this notion that he seems this hero worship of him and of the Jedi that is detrimental to the galaxy. The universe has put its faith in its false god of the Jedi and they need to forget the religion so they can get back to god, that light can rise from a worthier source. And because he's the last Jedi and a symbol of that, it then becomes this self-sacrifice he has to do to take himself out of it when he knows his friends are dying, when he knows the thing he'd like to do is get back in the fight. He's taken the weight of the world on his shoulders by taking himself out of the equation so that the Jedi can die out. The end of the movie is him embracing the part of the past that the present needs, which right now is the legend of Luke Skywalker, they need something to believe in, they need that action figure of Luke Skywalker to grab on to, that inspiration to stare up at the stars and believe that you can be a hero.""I wanted Luke's death to be peaceful, to be on his terms I wanted it to be a victory. I wanted it to be that he's done this huge grand act that has restored the spark of hope to the galaxy. I'm hesitant to put into words what he does in the end, but it is completed."https://ift.tt/2m3UpKG piqued my interest and I wondered what the ending would look like had he chosen not to kill Luke at the end of TLJ, so this is a video of what it could've looked like had Luke not died at the end of The Last Jedi.What do you think had this been the actual ending? via /r/StarWars https://ift.tt/2KCTUWB

No comments:

Post a Comment