Sunday, May 2, 2021

Rewatched Rogue One last night. I’m in awe.


I remember initially liking the movie when it came out in theaters (on my birthday, which was special) but after rewatching it last night, I’m in awe. The scope of the film and how it adds so much context to a new hope (The mon mothma/bale organa scenes, the Death Star plot hole, etc.) and the overall Star Wars universe is awesome because the entire movie serves the greater overall narrative.Also, the tension, MY GOD THE TENSION! The drama and stakes are palpable even though we know how it ends! From the opening scene with Jyn to the ending scene with Vader, I was floored with how well it was written and acted. Not even mentioning the cinematography! Despite the shots being beautifully composed (especially the grander shots of the star destroyers/Death Star) Everything is so grounded and dirty and lived in. There’s no sheen. It makes me feel like I’m there and this is what it’s like living under imperial rule.The third act is chefs kiss. The way the narrative simultaneously follows Jyn/Cassian trying to find the plans, to the fight happening on the beach, to the fight happening in space is this crescendo of an orchestra where all of the instruments are shining together on a grand scale.I’m just blown away by it and I had to get this off my chest. I think it’s my favorite Star Wars movie now. What do you guys think? via /r/StarWars https://ift.tt/3u8tVca

No comments:

Post a Comment