Sunday, July 2, 2017

Kids' First Original Trilogy Experience


I had the most amazing experience with my kids yesterday. After holding off until A) my kids were old enough to appreciate it, and B) I found the original non-special edition trilogy, I sat with my kids and had a marathon of Episodes 4-6. It was their first time.I knew the experience would be great, and I was looking forward to it for a while. I felt like I was rewatching the movies again for the first time. The gasps, the laughter, the questions, it was all so memorable. But three things will stick with me:1) After Ep. 4, I asked the kids if it was as fun as they were expecting. They had been wanting to watch it for a while. My son, 5, said yes. My daughter, 8, said no. I was worried she wasn't going to be a fan and it seemed like this was going to be the case, but she quickly followed up with "it was more fun."2) My ever observant daughter did not fail to see the details. When Luke discovered Leia was his twin sister, my daughter started giggling. Why? "They kissed."3) The big reveal in ESB was even more amazing than I had hoped it would be. I should preface this with the fact that we have let the kids watch the Clone Wars cartoons. They were familiar with Anakin and had a moment where they discovered Luke was Anakin's son. They also discovered that Vader had "killed" him, which I think struck them because they knew the character so well. So when Vader said his iconic words in ESB, both kids turned to me with wide eyes asking "Really? Really? Is he really his father? Darth Vader is Anakin?" It was a double whammy for them. I did not answer them to leave them in suspense, and, at the end of the movie, I asked if we should find out in the next movie. I couldn't start it fast enough for them.The whole experience was worth it and I felt I needed to share. They have been asking questions since, and I am so glad I managed to hide the spoilers from them for so long. I can't wait to experience the prequels with them. via /r/StarWars http://ift.tt/2sw19GI

No comments:

Post a Comment