Tuesday, May 2, 2017

The Japanese dub of Revenge of the Sith made some interesting dialogue changes.


Out of boredom I decided to youtube the Japanese dub of Revenge of the Sith and came across some dubbed scenes. I don't know how accurate these subtitles are, but if they are accurate to what's actually being spoken, than the Japanese dub made some interesting changes to the dialogue.Anakin confrontation with Obi-Wan on MustarfarEnglish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOhZ5wD6u7AObi-Wan: You have allowed this dark lord to twist your mind, until now...until now you have become the very thing you swore to destroy.Anikan: Don't lecture me Obi-Wan. I see through the lies of the Jedi. I do not fear the dark side as you do. I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to my new empire.Obi-wan: You're new empire?Anikan: Don't make me kill you.Obi-Wan: Anakin my allegiance is to the republic, to democracy.Anikan: If you're not with me, than you're my enemy.Obi-Wan: Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must.Anikan: You will try.Japanese dub:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A5vwYvdFfwObi-Wan: It's not too late. You can step back from the precipice. Let go of the dark side and help me defeat the chancellor.Anakin: I'm done with your orders. The Jedi never accepted me. My abilities always terrified you. You kept my eyes shut. But now they are open. Soon I'll see further than anyone alive.Obi-Wan: You think this is power?Anakin: You cannot begin to imagine.Obi-Wan: The dark side is hallowing you out inside. You're a puppet.Anakin: If the dark side is so weak...prove it to me.Obi-Wan: If you want to fight me, I can't stop you. But I won't kill you.Anakin: Then this will be easy.I found the japanese dialogue to be very interesting. I like that Obi-Wan pleads with Anakin to help him destroy Palpatine and even calls Anakin a puppet. Also interesting that Obi-Wan says he won't kill Anakin. I don't know if this dialogue would have worked as well if spoken in English, but I thought it was interesting and kind of badass the way the actors delivered it.Also in this dub Padme pleads with Anakin not to worry about his visions, Anakin has a cool line:Padme: Because of a dream? I don't care what you saw.Anakin: You haven't seen the death of everyone you love.The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise:English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05dT34hGRdgPalpatine: Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise?Anakin: No.Palpatine: I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.Anakin: He could actually save people from death?Palpatine: The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.Anakin: Well what happened to him?Palpatine: He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself.Anakin: Is it possible to learn this power?Palpatine: Not from a Jedi.Japanese dub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0BO-g3MVQ0Palpatine: Anakin. Have I ever told you about my mentor, Plagueis the wise?Anakin: No.Palpatine: Perhaps I shouldn't. The Jedi would not approve. But I think you should hear it. Plagueis was a galaxy renowned scholar. He was fascinated by the universe's secrets. The power of the force. The midichlorians in our veins. The nature of time. I was only a student when I met Plagueis, but I proved a good sounding board for his more outlandish ideas...and his nightmares.Anakin: My ability...Your mentor had it too?Palpatine: He believed the force had given him the secret of eternal life. A means to predict and overcome death itself.Anakin: So...what happened to him?Palpatine: One night I found him panicked. The force had shown him his own murder. He didn't know who or when, but it would come. In his fear, he began studying perilous arts of self defense. Until he reduced himself to a pile of ash. I suppose the moral is prophecy can be a dangerous gift. If you lack the power to command it.Anakin: My master told me it's impossible.Palpatine: And the Jedi have never been wrong.This one is very different. Palpatine straight up tells Anakin he was Plaugueis' apprentice. And Plagueis is no longer a sith, but a galaxy renowned scholar. I did like Palpatine's last line though.There are some more of these on YouTube. I just think they are kind of neat. They get to the same meaning as the english dub, but it's interesting to see the changes. via /r/StarWars http://ift.tt/2qtS4JS

No comments:

Post a Comment